Friday, April 22, 2011

Heritage Park Mall (Midwest City, Oklahoma)

Heritage Park Mall in Midwest City, Oklahoma has been located for over 30 years at Reno and Air Depot roads. Now all that is left is a trashed building. HPM is off the main crossroads of I-40 and I-35 by a couple of minutes. I am sure had it been nearer to the intersection of two of the most import roads in North America, it might have lasted a little longer. Though, it probably would have eventually died out, just as Crossroads Mall located on I-35, not too far away, is in the process of doing. I saw HPM from the outside a couple of time in the year or two before it closed. There is a Whataburger in the same parking lot and I had dinner there a couple of times over a couple of years. I wish badly I would have gone in. From the outside I always saw a mall parling lot which was virtually empty (and keep in mind, some of the few cars were for employees of the mall). It was emptier than even Crossroads Mall (which is still open). A security guard was always in the parking lot patrolling dutifully, though I was certain the pennyless mall had to be paying him on credit.

Recently, in 2010, the mall shut down for good. There is still a Sears which does have some buisness as well as an unattached Whataburger which is doing fine.

I took these photographs in late fall 2010, less than a year after it closed.


Trashed

Once a sentinel of consumerism. Now, just a dead mall.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

PLEASE USE OTHER DOOR.

Trashed inside. What a mess!

Good front entrance shot

Photobucket

DOOR OUT OF SERVICE.

Photobucket

What a mess!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: